The Sculptor - Scott McCloud

David Smith is giving his life for his art―literally. Thanks to a deal with Death, the young sculptor gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands. But now that he only has 200 days to live, deciding what to create is harder than he thought, and discovering the love of his life at the 11th hour isn't making it any easier!

This is a story of desire taken to the edge of reason and beyond; of the frantic, clumsy dance steps of young love; and a gorgeous, street-level portrait of the world's greatest city. It's about the small, warm, human moments of everyday life…and the great surging forces that lie just under the surface. Scott McCloud wrote the book on how comics work; now he vaults into great fiction with a breathtaking, funny, and unforgettable new work.

Amazon.com

Sculptor David is going through a rough patch with his art.... in that he can't seem to bring himself to make any, or if he does it comes out a big ol' dud. In the middle of a booze soaked mope-fest one day, he meets up with his great uncle Harry whom he hasn't seen in ages. Then he remembers -- Harry's been dead for ages! So it comes out that "Harry" is actually Death using Harry's body. Death makes David a deal: By sunrise the next day, anything David's mind can dream up he will be able to carve with his bare hands. Yep, sculpting solid stone with his bare hands like it's butter. But only for 200 days. On the 200th day, David's life will end. David, honestly believing that he would do literally anything for his art quickly agrees. What he never plans on is meeting his perfectly imperfect love, Meg.

So what can I say in my review here. I was feeling some slight shades of Faust in this story!

I've read a number of the lower rated reviews out of curiosity, have seen the rants about Meg being too much of the cliche "manic pixie dream girl", the plot being on the predictable side, all that. I even agree, to a point. For me though, this book is one of those cases in which I see the flaws and I just don't care. Yes, I did find elements of the story predictable. Yes, Meg's character was a bit much at times. AND YET I can comfortably dismiss all that because this book seemed to so perfectly meet my emotional needs. It was the right book for the right mood at the right time. It lingered in my mind for DAYS... something that almost never happens with my graphic novel reading... and I love graphic novels! I just tend to enjoy them in the moment and then largely forget them. Not this one. This one sucked me in like a beautifully shot film. In fact I hope there are plans to translate this to the big screen one day because I see plenty of potential for cinematic amazingness here!