Suck It, Wonder Woman!: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek - Olivia Munn, Mac Montandon

In this hilarious collection you'll find essays like “thought’s About My First Agent’s Girlfriend’s Vagina,” wherein Olivia skewers what it’s like to live in Hollywood. In “Sex: What You Can Do to Help Yourself Have More of It,” she frankly gets down to the business of getting it on, including advice on how to appropriately wrap it and bag it. In “What to Do When the Robots Invade (Yes, When!),” Olivia offers valuable information on . . .  what to do when the robots invade! And just when you thought she couldn’t get any more geeky, she can. This book also includes such handy treasures as a timeline of great moments in Geek history, a flip book, an unofficial FAQ section, and a nifty (read: smokin') foldout poster. Suck It, Wonder Woman! brings Olivia Munn’s unique humor, incredible wit, and lightning-fast costume changes to a world that needs more scrapbooking, sea monkeys, and for the love of God, a freakin' hoverboard!

Amazon.com

Note to self: Probably not a good sign when the book opens with an author intro explaining, almost apologizing, that if the reader thinks this book sucks, she'll "try better next time" ... before we've even gotten into any of the actual book!

Yea... Gotta say, Munn lost points with me with this one.

Sorry Munn, but this was.. just..  really not good. Like many readers of this book, I had picked this up largely because I used to love watching Attack Of The Show on G4, had watched Munn on The Daily Show and was curious to know more about her. This thing was just a scattered ol' mess that just screamed trying too hard. It really wasn't all that funny (there were a couple things that made me grin a bit but I didn't actually LOL once. Not. Once.).

Her stories were a little chronological but a lot not -- and the one about the day her grandmother died, while it was sad and showed a touching side to Munn -- was weirdly jammed between two other catering-to-adolescent-boys, forced humor bits. It seemed like most of her stories were her trying to take events that were not all that unique or unbelievable and spin them into something epic, which just rang false and ultimately left me hugely disappointed that I'd actually paid money for this book.

I also thought she went a little heavy-handed with the crassness. Okay, I get it, you want to show yourself as one of the cool "I'm one of the guys" chicks, you drink beer and eat pies and you want us to see that you can throw down toilet humor with the best of them. A touch of that here and there is cool. But overdo it and it just makes your comedy look cheap, unfunny and desperate for an audience. And btw Munn, Yoda is SO NOT "a pussy", he's just a more subtle kind of badass.

The one bit I actually did get a little kick out of was the chapter on geek history. That was cute. But it had nothing to do with Munn's life, so that's awkward...