Going Vintage - Lindsey Leavitt

When Mallory discovers that her boyfriend, Jeremy, is cheating on her with an online girlfriend, she swears off boys. She also swears off modern technology. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in 1962, Mallory decides to “go vintage” and return to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat on you online). She sets out to complete grandma’s list: run for pep club secretary, host a dinner party, sew a homecoming dress, find a steady, do something dangerous. But the list is trickier than it looks. And obviously finding a steady is out . . . no matter how good Oliver (Jeremy’s cousin) smells. But with the help of her sister, she’ll get it done. Somehow.

Amazon.com

This is the adorable story of Mallory, a teen who discovers her seemingly perfect boyfriend has been cheating on her with a girl he knows through an online alternate-life game (a Second Life kind of thing). Around this time, she's also helping move her grandmother to a retirement community. Packing up her grandmother's things, she comes across a notebook where her grandmother at the age of 16 had written up a list of goals for that year: run for pep-squad secretary, host a soiree, get a boyfriend, sew a homecoming dress, and do something dangerous. Mallory is floored at how quaint and idyllic this life sounds, so she decides to take on the list herself, giving up all technology in favor of things only available in 1962, hoping that "going vintage" will help her get better perspective on her life. But grandma's got some secrets about that time, secrets that show no era is / was perfect, everyone's got their dramas to work through and grow from.

I can't decide if it's right that I'm having fun. I'm going vintage but not so vintage that I need to dress in black and mourn the loss of my past life. I've seen people laugh at funerals, so why not be giddy post-breakup? Especially around a guy who makes life feel effortless, like a meteor could crash into his car and we would just shrug and take the bus.

Mallory in Going Vintage

While this has all the things that make for a great "fluffy" read -- mild drama, witty banter, breezy & fun romance -- there is also a good moral to the story, though it's not anything that beats the reader over the head... it's just something that has you thinking in the process of taking in this cute story that looks at how innocent that HS drama looks when you get older, makes you almost nostalgic for it after you get into heavier adult struggles!