Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter - Lisa Scottoline, Francesca Serritella

New York Times bestselling author Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Francesca Serritella are the best of friends—99.9% of the time. They’re number one on each other’s speed dial and they tell each other everything—well, almost everything. They share shoes and clothes—except one very special green jacket, which almost caused a catfight.

In other words, they’re just like every mother and daughter in the world. Best friends, and occasional enemies. Now they’re dishing about it all—their lives, their relationship, and their carb count.

Amazon.com

I've tried to read a few of Scottoline's mysteries in the past -- and I know she is well loved by many readers of that genre -- but I've always struggled getting into her books. I figured I would try this one because it was non-fiction, allowing me to see a different side to her, and I figured there might be some laughs here to share with my own mother. I don't know... the humor just struck me as pretty forced. I don't think I honestly laughed once. In fact, some parts had me really cringing and thinking it would be difficult for me to like Lisa as a person. Much of my reading of this just had me thinking "#whitepeopleproblems".

For one thing, she laughingly writes about talking with her daughter while clipping her toenails in the kitchen. Do you not serve / prepare food in there, woman?! Yuck! SO grossed out by that! But that wasn't the biggie for me. The big issue for me is how she talks about how she speaks to customer service reps & retail staff -- calling a credit card company bitching about her APR (which she could have easily been aware of had she looked at her paperwork, I'm sure) busting out the word "usurious" -- that just struck me as pretentious right there -- or how she seems to take pride in debasing holiday staff with harshly sarcastic comments when they are honestly just doing their job. I feel for these workers because I've had those jobs and I've had customers much like the way Lisa describes herself in these situations -- though she sees nothing wrong with how she talks to them. It's more of a "Who's with me!" tone. Not me, Lisa, not me.

It wasn't all a loss for me though, I did enjoy the stories about their pets (heartbreaking though they were) -- their reminisces about their retrievers and Francesca's horse. The part about their Golden, Angie is especially a heartstrings-tugger. I also enjoyed Francesca's memories of first experiencing a lunar eclipse and Lisa's story about returning to Italy to the town where her ancestors originated from, Ascoli-Piceno.

Solid fans of Lisa's work will probably appreciate this, but it was a no for me.